Gallery of past work

Thursday 19 April 2018

Cropped hedges

Before the extraordinary sudden growth in the hedges since the warm weather finally arrived this week, I went out with my camera to photograph the neatly cropped hedges all around where we live. The farmers seem to have been especially active this winter and have created a very particular, controlled look to their field boundaries.

Yet I am fascinated by the variety of pattern that still manages to exist within these hedgerows - all little more than waist height. Some have negative spaces at their base and dense top-knots of closely interwoven branches that form a small canopy at the top. Others offer a haphazard mat of trunks that cross over one another at random. They all seem to be asking me to stitch them - and this time, to use some colour, albeit muted and rather wintery.

In Photoshop Elements, I turned two of the more interesting photos to black and white and then colourised them to give a mahogany brown that I hope will offer interesting possibilities of colour contrasts in the stitching.

These two resulted for now and will do for experiments while I am away in Scotland next week.
















Seeing them on the screen makes me realise that the mahogany brown will need some enhancement, especially on the top version!

6 comments:

  1. I really love these photos, so typical of our area. Have a great holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for your comment and your good wishes, Louise. Off to a very different landscape, and no doubt lots of photos! I will post any that look promising.

      Delete
  2. Love how you have captured these patterns in the hedges - so beautiful! and thanks to you too for continuing to blog and share :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim.

      I always enjoy your blog, though I don’t always comment. Communicating over so many miles is something of a miracle, isn’t it? It continues to bring me so much interest and Is a source of great pleasure.

      Delete
  3. de retour à la maison,je découvre ces arbres magnifiques! biz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merçi Elfi. Chez moi, en ce moment c'est toujour les arbres - ou les batiments!

      Delete

Hello and thank you very much for taking the time to leave a message on my blog. Every comment is welcome and I will try to answer you as soon I can.